Thursday, August 20, 2009

Sigh of Relief

Today Lucia came over and we completed (oral vit k excluded) the preparations for the birth!! It feels GREAT!

We checked that the hose fit my shower- it didn't- and got an adapter which does the trick. I now have the birthing pool at my house. It will fit just fine in the space we have planned for it.

We also got the medical supplies on her list such as sterile gloves, gauze, syringes, IV equipment and syntocinon. These things are in case of postpartum hemorrhage and for repairs. Hoping none of it will be necessary! But glad to be prepared. The docs will bring instruments and oxygen and whatnot, and Lucia will bring a bunch of other things from flashlight to birthing stool to fetal doppler. Quite a lot of stuff, really.

It was good with Lucia. I felt like I made a good impression, one of health and organization and rationality and caring. Which I think is good for our birth team. While I'm not the first to have a home birth in their care, it's still far from common and I recognize the effort they are going to on my behalf. I'm glad for every bit of confidence I can build in them about my commitment to this.

She hadn't spoken to Dr. Lopez I guess, and I didn't bring up the non stress test, so that was averted. Phew. I have an appointment for tomorrow. I think I'll pray that the NST slips his mind so we just don't even have to have the conversation.

So, all that's left is for my Mom to get here. Six more days! I'm excited to show off my nice organized piles of birth and baby stuff, and to talk through how I see the birth going. Andrew doesn't have quite the same interest in these types of details :)
The birth and brand new baby corner. Two mesh bags with all my birth supplies, and the diaper bag full of brand new baby stuff like clothes and receiving blankets. Car seat and playpen. Planning to use the bassinet for baby to sleep in beside our bed.

Baby Shelves. Diapers, and bins of clothes ready to be washed up once we know whether it's a boy or a girl!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful!! You're so organized. I can imagine the relief and peace you're feeling. Here is hoping your doc won't mention the NST and it will be left at that. So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete